THE ANCIENT THEATERS
The theatre lies on the south slope
of the hill called "Phrourion" (Fortress) at Larissa. It
was built at the end of the 3rd century B.C. and
continued to be used in the Roman period. Parts of the
stage and the cavea with the rows of marble seats have
been uncovered .
The excavation of the theatre
started in 1910 and has been continued with intervals
until today. The 15th Ephorate of Prehistoric and
Classical Antiquities has already purchased the private
plots in which the monument lies, and carries out
systematic excavations in the area.
It is the second larger
ancient theatre at Larissa, also used in the Roman
period. Two rows of marble seats, the orchestra, and a
large part of the stage have been preserved.
The monument was uncovered
during excavations conducted in 1985 and 1986.